Gut Crisis: A Cutting-Edge Guide To Gut Health
Many diseases are caused by malfunctions of the digestive system (gut). Dr. Robert Keith Wallace shows you how the microbiome of the gut is the basis of your health. He has created an online course and a book giving a detailed program for healing the gut, which can bring a dramatic improvement in the health.
By Hugh Finlay
- Dr. Robert Keith Wallace and his wife Samantha, have brought out a book called ‘The 21st Century Revolution. Gut Crisis. How Diet, Probiotics and Friendly Bacteria Help You Lose Weight and Heal Your Body and Mind’. He has also produced a course called Heal Your Gut, which is available online.
- The gut is the digestive system from the mouth to the excretory organs.
- In the past Dr. Wallace did important research on the effect of Transcendental Meditation on the physiology. Now he is examining the relationship between Maharishi Ayurveda and the microbiome.
- The microbiome is all the organisms (bacteria, fungi and microorganisms, along with their DNA) in the gut. 90% of the microbiome is in the large intestines and colon.
- Hippocrates, the father of modern medicine, said that all diseases begin in the gut. This is being confirmed by modern research. Here is a list of diseases that come from problems in the microbiome: Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Depression, Anxiety, Asthma, Autism, Allergies, Obesity, Autoimmune Disease, Diabetes, Heart Disease, Caesarian Births. Toxins and antibiotics can destroy beneficial gut bacteria.
- The Gut/Brain Axis. The brain and gut affect each other, sending messages to each other. Due to stress, the brain can shut down the digestive system. Diet and the gut bacteria can also affect the brain.
- Dairy, gluten and sugar have been implicated in causing problems in the microbiome. According to various health advocates the way to cure this is to 1. Come off dairy, gluten and sugar for a few weeks, 2. Then reintroduce specific foods, to see the reaction of the body. 3. Introduce probiotics, prebiotics, supplements and lifestyle changes, to rebuild the microbiome.
- Gluten can cause Celiac Disease, which creates openings in the intestines that allow particles of food to directly enter the bloodstream. This activates the immune system, which in turn can cause inflammation and various diseases.
- In Maharishi Ayurveda, ‘Ama’ (the remains of undigested food) is what causes problems in the microbiome. ‘Agni’ is the digestive fire which consists of enzymes, gut bacteria and other substances in the stomach and intestines. The lower intestine where most of the microbiome is found, is also the seat of ‘Vata’ in the body. Maharishi Ayurveda says that many diseases are caused by Vata imbalance.
- Maharishi Ayurveda recommends various things to balance Vata, which purify and nourish the gut. This increases production of ‘Ojas’ (the finest product of digestion) in the body. The finer aspect of Ojas is ‘Soma,’ which has unique qualities for increasing awareness and experiencing higher states of consciousness. Scientists know that gut bacteria can produce neurotransmitters and hormones.
- Maharishi Ayurveda recognizes that diet and lifestyle changes are important for curing disease, and emphasizes that prevention is better than cure.
- Transcendental Meditation has been shown to produce a state of restful alertness in the mind and body, which has a very beneficial effect on the gut and digestion. TM is an integral part of Maharishi Ayurveda.
We run the website voluntarily to support the peace projects of the GCWP.
If you would like to help, please make all your purchases through our shops.
In addition, we recommend that you SIGN UP to be a member, and share this page with your friends.
Thank you :)